Ways to help boost your immune system
Nobody is completely immune from getting sick. So, if you want a fighting chance at staying well, you need to have a strong immune system that’s able to fight off disease. When you have a strong immune system, it’s easier to stay well. When it’s weakened by germs and bad habits, you have a higher risk of getting sick. Since you’re better off healthy, read below for a better understanding of your immune system, along with the benefits of a strong immune system, vitamins in foods and supplements to keep it working well, and ways that a healthy lifestyle is an immune system booster for COVID, colds, allergies, and all kinds of health conditions. Discover how different immune system boosters can help you stay well ahead of sickness.
A healthy look at the immune system
Your immune system is your body’s natural defense against illness and infection. And, it’s only natural to want to make it as strong as can be. Your immune system is comprised of a complex network of special cells, organs, and chemicals. This network works together to identify germs and viruses that may threaten your body and health. Once a health risk is recognized, a healthy immune system is able to detect it and destroy it to protect you from any harm. If your immune system isn’t strong, it isn’t able to provide the protection you need. You want to keep your immune system strong so it can keep you happy and healthy.
The strengths of a strong immune system
While avoiding illness and infection has always been important, there was a time when most people mainly worried about catching colds and the flu. With the effects of aging taking its toll, the focus turned to avoiding diseases and chronic conditions. Today, with COVID-19 rapidly spreading germs and fear, many people are relying on unproven tips and tricks to avoid this global virus. So, whether you’re looking to boost your immune system for COVID, colds, or some other sort of sickness, the strongest defense against all of these ailments is a strong immune system. You can give your immune system a healthy boost by making some simple changes in the way you live, eat, and enjoy life.
Make a healthy lifestyle a habit
Good health demands a good lifestyle. One of the most convenient immune system boosters is a healthy lifestyle. Even small changes in your daily habits can give your immune system a big boost. To boost your immune system for COVID, colds, and other conditions, get in the habit of using these helpful tips:
- Eat a balanced diet full of wholesome foods.
- Stay physically active.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Get enough sleep.
- Don’t smoke.
- If you drink alcohol, only drink in moderation.
- Wash your hands throughout the day.
- Consider staying up to date on vaccinations.
- Try to reduce stress in your life.
- Spend time with the people you enjoy.
- Take time to relax.
Eat well to stay well
Did you know that you can eat to beat disease? A diet packed with vegetables, fruits, lean protein, dairy, and whole grains can help strengthen your immune system, meaning it can help keep you from getting sick. Just as important as what you eat is what you avoid. Saturated fats, salt, cholesterol, and added sugars can weaken your immune system, meaning it’s harder to stay healthy. Enjoying a healthy diet is as easy as A, B, C… and D and E. When you’re looking for foods to boost your immune system, vitamins are essential. Foods that contain them are some of the best—and most delicious—immune system boosters around. To strengthen your immune system, vitamins A through E found in the following foods will help satisfy your hunger and craving for good health:
- A powerful antioxidant, vitamin A helps your body fight off germs and viruses. This vital vitamin can be found in carrots, cantaloupe, and sweet potatoes.
- Turn to vitamin B6 and vitamin B12 to help your immune system function properly. Vitamin B6 can be found in in beef liver, salmon, tuna, turkey, and chickpeas, while vitamin B12 is in salmon, chicken, beef, and eggs.
- Vitamin C has a healthy reputation for strengthening your immune system. You can find it in citrus, strawberries, bell peppers, and broccoli.
- Keep your immune system working well with vitamin D, which is in fatty fish like salmon, as well as fortified foods like orange juice, milk, and cereals.
- Another immune-boosting antioxidant to know and love is vitamin E, which is in nuts, seeds, and spinach.
Supplement your immunity
When you’re looking to boost your immune system, vitamins from food are your best bet. Since it can be hard to satisfy your body’s daily needs with diet alone, high-quality supplements make it easy to fill in the gaps in your diet and strengthen your immune system. Gummies, liquids, powders, and pills are all available to boost your immune system. Gummies were once only popular with kids, but now many adults are enjoying them too. Before taking any sort of supplement, speak to your SignatureMD-affiliated doctor to see if they’re right for you.
If you’re sick and tired of getting sick, these easy immune system boosters can help you feel well, live well, and stay well.